Friday, May 18, 2007

Let's Get it Started!

First off apologies for my journal writing abilities as they have been in none existence most of my life. So Day 1 of the whole Bike and Build adventure is down 69 days more, but it was just the first of a two day orientation :). It also was my birthday which most of you reading this knew. It was a first time experience that the only happy birthday singing I got was from at the time complete strangers. I want to thank all of you guys though who called and left messages with me, the ones who I was able to talk to, and the facebook messages. They all mean a great deal to me and thanks! Just being with this group of people for a little more than 24 hrs., I have realized how extremely blessed I am with all the friends and family that I have. All the support I have received from you guys and the effort to keep in touch me on this trip has been amazing. I will do my best to keep you guys informed but just a quick note, I'm not going to have as much Internet access as I'd thought so this blog will probably get updated once a week with a big entry of all the days that week. Please check out http://www.bikeandbuild.org/cms/component/option,com_wrapper/Itemid,206/ with daily updates from my route.

So yesterday was a bit nerve racking. Just so many different thoughts entering my mind, like am I really ready for this, how in the world will I be able to keep in touch with everyone this summer, do I have all my bike equipment, how in the world can I fit it all in my bag???! I actually will admit that I have the largest bag (go figure), so shouldn't be a problem but I'm going through it tonight with folks who packed lightly so I can leave stuff with my parents before we take off on Sunday. Everyone in the group is really nice, we are all just completely unique in our own ways. I'm excited to get to know all my new friends and tracking across the country together. What's a better way to get to know someone than to bike with them for 70 miles a day? :) Well some older lady at dinner last night asked "What do you guys do for fun or can I ask that?" Our leader answered well hopefully biking is fun but we brought 2 guitars, a frisbee, four square ball, wiffle bat and ball, soccer ball, cards, board games. Then in response she said so basically you guys are like a traveling camp! So I'm getting set, ready and finally really excited and pumped to leave on Sunday on my cycling adventure or now I'll call it traveling camping. It does bother me that my communication with you guys may not be as long and frequent as I'd like but I'm really excited to meet and become great friends with all 27 other people on the trip. I hope all is going great with all you guys, keep in touch!

Your peddler,
Rachel

4 comments:

Fran Elrod said...

Hi Rachel! Your St. John's family continues to pray for you as you "Ride" you way across America. We look forward to hearing about your experience when you return. Take care and we love you! Rev. Fran Elrod

Allison said...

Hey Rachel! I hope you're having a great time...don't forget your sunscreen! I miss you!!!

~Burps said...

Hey, at least now Laura Allen knows what you think about while you bike!

lakerlin said...

You know what miss bickers, you can't say it never crossed your mind....