Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Bike and Build 2007

Hey Y'all!
I'd like to first thank my family and friends for all of their support and encouragement over these past few months in preparation for this great endeavor I'm about to embark on. I’m a senior Construction Science and Management Major at Clemson University. In thinking about my last summer before entering “the real world,” I knew I wanted to do something involving travel and mission work. Bike and Build was the perfect combination of these two things. I have lived my whole life in the northwest corner of South Carolina, but I have always wanted to take a road trip across the country. Although I never dreamed of cycling across it, I did feel inspired to run across the country after watching the movie Forrest Gump.I have been an athletic person my whole life; I have always enjoyed soccer and since coming to Clemson, ultimate Frisbee and marathons as well. I am currently training for my second marathon but am looking forward to expanding my training with cycling. I’ve never been a huge cyclist, but I recently received a bike as a gift and have greatly enjoyed it. I see Bike and Build as a wonderful opportunity to strengthen myself personally and physically and consider it as both a challenge and an adventure. I love challenging myself through new experiences, and this will be my biggest one yet.While being at Clemson I have greatly enjoyed serving the local community through Habitat projects, food and clothing drives, helping with after school programs, and other events. I’ve also participated in four post-Katrina outreach trips to New Orleans and have been amazed by the way our group was able to help rebuild the lives of families by not only helping with the demolition and gutting of homes, but also by simply listening to their stories. I’ve found that the act of listening and being present for them is in many ways more important than the physical work we do. With this in mind, I can’t wait to meet all sorts of new families across this country, to listen to their stories, and to show them that people in this country do care for them. I am also anxious to get out and use some of my construction knowledge and Habitat experience to physically help these families.

No comments: